Chairperson and Director Research
Elmarie started her research career in 2001 when she was appointed as Provincial Supervisor by the Human Sciences Research Council,
A position she held until 2006 when she moved to the Medical research Council of South Africa where she was appointed as Chief Research technologist (S1). She holds:
- Diploma in Business Management; 1999 Allenby
- Diploma in Community Health; 1977 University of the Free State
- Higher Diploma in Nursing Science (General Nursing, Midwifery, Psychiatry) 1974 University of the Free State
- Mwansa-Kambafwile, J.,Rendall-Mkosi, K., Jacobs, R., Nel, E., London, L. (2011) Evaluation of a Service Provider Short Course for Prevention of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.
- Bowers, Y., Rendall-Mkosi, K., Davids, A., Nel, E., Jacobs, N., London, L (2014) Liquor outlet density, deprivation and implications for foetal alcohol syndrome prevention in the Bergrivier municipality in the Western Cape, South Africa
- Pluddeman, A., Morojele, N., Myers, B., Townsend, L., Lombard, C.J., Petersen Williams, P., Carney, T., Nel, E.,( 2014) The prevalence of risk for mental health problems among high school students in the Western Cape Province, South Africa
- Nel E. (2010). Minimising pitfalls in household surveys: Lessons learned from a survey amongst women in Tshwane, South Africa. Presented at PHASA conference in East London.
- Nel E. (2013) Participants’ perceptions of a life skills training programme in the prevention of alcohol-exposed pregnancies. Presented at The 5th International Conference on Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders, in Vancouver, Canada
- Facilitated a Workshop on Drug Treatment Data Collection for Nigeria, from 20-22 January 2015. (Abuja)